Are you enjoying the season out on the water? The weather is warming up in Alabama and boaters are ready to hit the open seas. As your watercraft insurance provider, we would like to take a moment to focus on boat safety. If you have not taken a boaters safety course in the past, you may want to read over our brief boat safety checklist—and perhaps sign up for Boat Ed in the near future!
Here is our boat safety checklist:
- Keep enough life jackets on board for all passengers. Small children and adults who are unable to swim should wear them at all times.
- Keep a close eye on weather reports and changes in the wind/tides/currents.
- Make sure you have the following on board: lifesling, radio, horn, fire extinguisher, flares, etc. In the event of an emergency, these items and signals will be critical for safety.
- Use a GPS to navigate the seas.
- Keep fuel levels up and be sure to check on them each time you board for a ride.
- Never allow inexperienced and unlicensed passengers to drive the boat.
- Never drive a boat while intoxicated.
Our agents at Hundley Batts & Associates Insurance Agency hope that this checklist will come in handy this season. While some of these safety tips seem like common sense, you would be surprised by how many people tend to forget them. Time out on the water should be smooth and relaxing—the last thing that you need to kick off the season is an accident. Read, remember, and have a fun and safe time out on the water.
If you are concerned with your current watercraft insurance policy, please do not hesitate to call our agency. We would be more than happy to assist you!